Thursday, January 6, 2011

Pumpkin Bread



Let's just face the facts... I am not a morning person. Making lavish breakfasts is not my strength. Growing up, my Mom would be up before the sun came up, making a pot of coffee and having something delicious baking in the oven... I have my moments when I do this, but they are few and far between.
I'm more of a toast & jam kind of mom; however, I do like to make special breakfasts for my kids... that is why I prefer to make something yummy for their breakfast, the night before...




Something like Pumpkin Bread.




I love how it fills the house with it's comforting smell. I love how easy it is to put together, and yet I feel like I've done something amazing, since it tastes so good. I also love the fact that pumpkins are healthy (aren't they part of the vegetable family or something?).






I used a recipe from allrecipes.com as my base, but made a few changes. The real recipe can be found on allrecipes.com under "Downeast Maine Pumpkin Bread." Below is my version of the recipe:






15 oz of canned pumpkin puree


4 eggs


1 cup canola oil


2/3 cup water


2 cups brown sugar


5 tablespoons ground flax seed


2 cups flour


2 tsp baking soda


1 1/2 tsp salt


2 tsp cinnamon


1/2 tsp nutmeg


1/4 tsp ground cloves


1/4 tsp ground ginger








  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.




  • Grease whatever pans you are going to bake the bread in. I used 2 muffin pans (12 muffins each), and one loaf pan.




  • In large mixing bowl, mix together the pumpkin, eggs, oil, water, and sugar. Add salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, ground cloves, and ground ginger.




  • Add flax seed, flour, and baking soda and stir until it is all mixed in.




  • Bake the muffin pans for approximately 20 minutes and the loaf for approximately 50 minutes OR until toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the middle of the bread.


No comments:

Post a Comment